The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How the Kaiser helped me make a Book Plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How the Kaiser helped me make a Book Plate
    Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 17:28
For your entertainment

http://www.thebluemaxproject.org/new-blog/2016/2/21/how-the-kaiser-helped-me-build-a-book-plate

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 16:30
Isn't this Wilhelm I, i.e. the 'wrong' kaiser ?
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 20:17
Yes and no.  The statue was commissioned by Wilhelm II ( the "right" Kaiser) when his grandfather died.  It was controversial because it was suppose to be an open competition but Wilhelm added his favorite artist late and most of the other artists withdrew.  You can guess who won the competition.... 

For the sketch I tried to pick images that a doodler from that era might be familiar with and since this was built in the late 1890's it fit the bill.

Regarding symbolism...the final sketch will likely show the columns as cracked and crumbling...perhaps the Great War leading to a deterioration of the empire Wilhelm I built, cracking under his own weight...

That's how it tied together inside my head.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 08:51
Except Wilhem I wasn't in to 'empire', this being a notion developed by his son seeking 'a place in the son' after 'dropping the pilot' (i.e. the departure of Bismarck).

Bismarck was concerned with the balance of power in Europe, and regarded the creation of an overseas empire as little more than an irrelevant distraction.

It may be interesting to speculate what could have happened if Wilhelm I had been born later (he was born in 1797 and died in 1888, so had a fair innings), as he was considerably more liberal in his views than his son.

Apparently, over 1,000 memorials to Wilhelm I were built between 1867 and 1918, so someone must have liked him !

As it appears to be Frenchmen dismantling the statue (and not erecting it), I assume that this is in Alsace-Lorraine, possibly Strasbourg ?
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:45
All good points Nick. My knowledge of the history of Germany is still a work in progress, so I apprecreciate your insight.   Regarding the image of the statue being taken down, my understanding is that it occurred in the 1950's and the statue is the National Kaiser Wilhelm Monument that was located in Berlin, so I assume the photo was taken in Berlin.

Edited by WWGeezer - 24 Feb 2016 at 11:47

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:49
The guys in the photo look very French to me. 
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:00
Hmmmm.....don't have time right now, there are enough photos of the monument could probably figure it out by looking at the buildings in the background. Could be a french demo company. The benefit to me was the photo was so close up that you could really see the detail of the statue. My recollection is there were some other photos online of other pieces on the ground.

Interesting to try and piece together history from images....sometimes it helps and sometimes not.
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 13:26
With all that being said, I think I will add Wilhelm II peeking over the shoulder of Wilhelm I, staying clear of the fighting below. Maybe add the I and II to there helmets

Would read more like a political cartoon
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 16:12
"l told Airfix l wanted the model in 1/72 scale Im sure."
WWGeezer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 23:01
Too funny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic