The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aden observer/pilots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 17:06
Never give up Giles. There is always more to be found.

FYI: it looks like Jeddah was an ex-P&O steamer, the Palawan, sold to the Arab Steam Ship Company in 1914.
There is a photo of Palawan here:
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=15023

Through April to June 1917 Jeddah was employed on troop movements between Bombay and other ports in India and Muscat. So, it is possible that your ancestor was on her from Port Said to Aden and beyond earlier in the year. The only unit in Aden at this time was 13 Kite Balloon Section, RNAS. He is unlikely to have been posted to this unit.

However, it is beginning to look like his trip in HMT Jeddah might have been a bureaucratic error.

The latest Journal has an excellent article on training in Egypt with several mentions of 57 Reserve/Training Squadron. Perhaps the authors could help with your search.
gilesforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 18:06
Hi Ian,

Yes I'll continue looking...on 1/3 he is definitely struck off the strength of 14 squadron "for duty overseas" and in the 14 Squadron February return he's been "reposted as Observer" so he's needed for something. Would that happen if it was just a transfer into the reserve squadron?

Of the men SoS of 14 Sq 1/3/17 a contact has kindly provided me the following as to where they end up:

LONG 22RS in Oct16 back with them Sep17

LILLEY Indian Exp Force D in Mar17 -- 31 Wing Mesopotamia in Jul17 

DEACON 22RS in Oct16 -- 111Sq in Aug17

TRAVERS  unknown pre Oct17 when he was with 31Sq Risalpur

POOLE  58RS Apr17 -- Asst Instructor Jan18

SCOWCROFT  14Sq Apr17 -- 31Sq Risalpur Oct17

JARVIS 57RS Apr17 -- 56Sq Nov17

KINGSLEY 14Sq Apr17 -- 111Sq Aug17

FELLOWES  14Sq Apr17 -- 111Sq Aug17

JOSLEN  unknown pre Oct17 when with 31Sq Risalpur

THOMAS unknown pre Oct17 when with 114Sq Lahore

FORREST 57RS Apr17 -- 111Sq Nov17

WILKINS unknown pre Sep17 when with 46TS in UK

The only one so far found on a roll in March is Lilley...who is part of India Force...

Edited by gilesforrest - 20 Mar 2016 at 18:50
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 18:48
There was a LT J B Thomas and a 2/Lt R L Thomas with Aden Flight.

Lt J B Thomas was killed 23 January 1918. V46.232 for details.

2/Lt R J Thomas flew several bombing missions in June/July 1918, but that is all I have on him. V46.235 for details, and in group photo V46.238.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 18:55
Sorry realised I didn't include first names:

LONG  Lt William Dickson
JARVIS  Capt Louis William
LILLEY  Capt Leonard Moore
KINGSLEY  Capt Shirley George
DEACON  Lt George Raymond Albert
FELLOWES  Capt Cuthbert Dorset
TRAVERS  Lt Arthur Stuart
JOSLEN  Lt William Varney
POOLE  Lt Harry Rowland
THOMAS  2Lt Robert Llewellyn
SCOWCROFT  Lt Henry Donald
FORREST  Lt Guy Archibald
WILKINS  Lt Stephen

So RJ Thomas was in 14 Squadron, but was SoS 1/3/17 the same time as my ancestor. Having said that you only have him in June 18 so he could well have been doing other things before then...
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 19:04
It would be worthwhile checking 114 Squadron history.

This is all I have:
No. 114 Squadron, RFC, was formed at Lahore, India, in September 1917, from a nucleus provided by No. 31 Squadron. It was equipped with HF 27's, BE2c's and BE2e's and appears to have taken part in air demonstrations against troublesome tribesmen during the period September 1917 to March 1918. By September 1918, headquarters and one-and-a-half flights were at Quetta, half a flight was at Lahore and one flight was in Aden. The squadron was redesignated No. 28 Squadron in April 1920.

There is a MOD website : http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/114squadron.cfm
It's a start.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 19:34
I will do Ian,

I also have the list of NCO SoS of 14th Sq on the 1/3/17 (below).

Along with the other officers, I'm told this is a full flight...so they must be heading somewhere.. ?

I'm going to try to find M.E.B letter A/E/212 dated 1-3-17 that is referred to as the authority.

Maybe there's another entry later saying it was all cancelled, but it is all stated in past tense i.e. Tuesday 6th March - "the undermentioned having proceeded to Port of Embarkation" etc

Am I correct in saying that as they were SoS this is a detached flight transferring to another squadron/force? 

Giles

Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 19:48
Look for my private message.

I'll need a little while to check out the names and see if there are any I know.

If personnel is SoS'd it would generally mean they had been posted elsewhere. Finding that elsewhere wins the big prize.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 20:09
Done - thanks Ian!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic