The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sopwith 807 No 922 towed to base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lancashire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancashire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sopwith 807 No 922 towed to base
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 10:30
Morning,

This is from the recent Kingston email :
Can anyone add to the comment ref # 922 as its the one of the planes my grandfather flew from MHS Ark Royal, its the first time I have seen this mishap, I have the HF King Sopwith book (not on there), I have seen some of the ships logs too.

The Kingston aviation story – 103 (First released 5th August 2015)
100 Years ago this week, from the article time line maybe 7th August

"RNAS aerial support is non-stop on these days; directing naval guns, bombing and reconnoitring the battlefields plus anti-submarine patrols and enemy aircraft patrols - none of which appeared. On 7^th August amongst all this action Sopwith “Type 807” No.922 is towed to Ark Royal in Kephalo Bay with an engine failure."

thanks J

EnglishGent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishGent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 15:14
Lancashire
I fount these two entries in Cross & Cockade Journal,
not much but might lead to something else.

Vol. 44 Page 234
“The three Sopwith 807s had been delivered to Ark Royal
shortly after her commissioning. Since her arrival in the
Aegean, one had been reduced to spares, and one had been
wrecked after an accident whilst spotting for HMS Elizabeth.
The third, 922, continued to be used, almost exclusively it
seems, by Lt Douglas, eventually being burnt out later in the
year after an engine failure.”

Vol. 38 Page 74
“The grave of CPO Mechanic W. McLellan at Imbros next to
that of Captain C.H. Collett who was killed in the crash of
Sopwith Type 807 922 at Kephalo, after the machine’s engine
failed on take-off. His passenger, CPO Mechanic Lacey, was
injured.”

For what it’s worth.
Derek
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 21:13
There are two references to 922 being towed - see RN Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919, Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page:
u/c collapsed in tow of trawler 18.6.15.
in tow 7.8.15.

922 had an active career, being damaged on several occasions. 922 was 'fitted with wings and tail of 807' on 23.4.15. Shortly after on 29.4.15, 'Fabric seriously damaged by gunfire in ship'??? Also suffered several 'u/c collapsed landing.'

One well used airframe.
whiskymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 11:38
Originally posted by Ian Burns Ian Burns wrote:

There are two references to 922 being towed - see RN Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919, Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page:
u/c collapsed in tow of trawler 18.6.15.
in tow 7.8.15.

922 had an active career, being damaged on several occasions. 922 was 'fitted with wings and tail of 807' on 23.4.15. Shortly after on 29.4.15, 'Fabric seriously damaged by gunfire in ship'??? Also suffered several 'u/c collapsed landing.'

One well used airframe.

Ian,

I believe the ship in question was HMS Doris - the vessel to which this machine was sent to help with spotting. And presumably the damage was caused by the concussion from her guns, in much the same way as another of Ark Royal's aircraft, Short '164' was damaged, when working with one of the Monitors.

Peter.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic