The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cavalrymen attached to 35 Squadron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cavalrymen attached to 35 Squadron
    Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 10:36
Following on your the recent Journal article about Contact Patrols for Cavalry Regiments, I wondered if anyone knew who the 5 attached cavalry officers who went to France with 35 squadron were, and in what capacity they went (ground staff, pilots, observers ?)

One possible is :
Name : BARNE
Initials: Seymour
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Secondary Regiment: 20th Hussars
Secondary Unit Text: and
Date of Death: 23/04/1917
Awards: M C
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. C. 11.
Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
Whose MC seems to have been with C Squadron 20th Hussars.

It could be that the 'postings in' were from one of the reserve units (the same happened with 98 Squadron, although some time later, with a draft of observers from Reserve Cavalry Regiments and Yeomanries), though one would assume that the cavalrymen had a degree of experience of action to be of any practical use in the role ?

I haven't got a note of any of the other cavalry attachments being to 35 squadron, but if anyone has a nominal roll of aircrew of the unit I should be able to identify those who came from the cavalry.
Nick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 17:00
"Captain Barne, who had left us in 1915 to become Staff Captain, 4th cavalry Brigade, had subsequently been appointed GSO2, 2nd Cavalry Division. During the winter 1916-17, a Flying Corps Squadron had been formed, whose duty it would be to keep touch, during an advance, witht he advanced troops of the cavalry. This squadron was directly under the GOC Cavalry Corps. It was considered essential to have cavalry officers as observers, and even to have fairly senior officers. Volunteers were called for, and Seymour Barne, among others, answered the call, thus leaving a comfortable staff job."
'20th Hussars in the Great War', Major JC Darling DSO, P76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 08:56
I have answered my own question (sort of), in that it seems that all the cavalrymen went to France as observers, though I have only identified one of the five so far.

There seems little evidence of the actual use of 35 Squadron in flying cavalry contact patrols. The crucial period (for 35 at least) was during Cambrai, though the Squadron's exact role is unclear in "War in the Air" and only hinted at in a slightly dismissive way in the Cambrai book I've just read. I'll post something about that presently.

In the meantime, I have compiled quite a lot of information on 35 Squadron (which is in the form of an Excel file) should anyone want a copy ?
Nick 
Roland G Adams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland G Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 17:05
Dear Nick,

I'd be intersted in a copy of the excel file about 35 sqn please.

My grandfather was photographic office with 15th Wing and 35 was one of the five squadrons in that wing.

Cheers

Roland G. Adams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 17:35
Hi Roland
Please can you send your email address to me at n.forder@mosi.org.uk ?

This was an excellent C&CI Journal article on 35 Squadron which will probably be of more use to you, particularly as it contains more information that I had compiled - in fact I stopped collecting as the article was so good !
Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic