The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2nd Flying Training School location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dfuller52 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfuller52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Flying Training School location
    Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 19:33
Can someone tell me where this training unit was located? I assume it was somewhere near Cleveland, Yorkshire, since that is where my trainee pilot is buried.
Malcolm_raf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm_raf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 20:07
Hi David

2 FTS wasn't formed until Aug 1921 at Fowlmere near Duxford

2 Training Sqn was at Northolt 31 Jan 1917 - 15 Jul 1918 when it was absorbed into 30 TDS

2 Training Depot Station was at Lake and Stonehenge 15 Aug 1917 - 5 Jan 1918 and at West Fenton (Guillane) from 15 Apr 1918 to 21 Nov 1919

Malcolm
dfuller52 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfuller52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 20:16
Hi Malcolm, good to see you frequent this board too and thanks for the info.

About the chronology/name thing, that's odd, since the record of my subject's death (12/08/1918) in CWGC has it as 2nd FTS. Is this just an assumption on some later scribe's part?

I should also have realized that, being a British immigrant to Canada, he might have had a family connection to Yorkshire which would explain the location of his burial. None of those locations is in Yorkshire, correct? Any idea on how to place him?
Malcolm_raf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm_raf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 06:47
Hi David

I don't get on as much as I'd like.

A thought ocurred after my last  message, No 2 Fighting School was at Marske which is in the Cleveland area.

Malcolm
dfuller52 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfuller52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 11:54
Yes, Malcolm, that's it. He is listed as buried in the cemetery in Marske. And what a coincidence... this is the airfield where W.E. Johns, author of the Biggles books, spent much of his war career, according to Wikipedia.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic