The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Strutter Project View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strutter Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutter
    Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 18:37
I thought you might be interested in this project.

The venerable gents of the Aircraft Preservation Society, Scotland decided some 13 years ago to build a Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutter. It was a significant aircraft that flew out of East Fortune and first saw light of day almost exactly 100 years ago.

They had the enthusiasm, but had never built a full-sized replica before and soon found out that this was going to be a long long labour of love.

With limitied facilities and with funds raised by selling things off, they have nearly finished it! All parts made beautifully by hand.

They would love to have it flying in the centenary year, but they have hit a financial brick wall.

I volunteered to set up a crowdfunding campaign for them: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/get-the-strutter-flying

They are also looking for authentic cockpit instrumentation and anything else that will lend authenticity to this beauty.

If any of you fancy contributing funds to the project, it would obviously be welcome; but we also need contacts and sources of artefacts. If you can help in any way at all, please contact me, or check the details on the Indiegogo campaign or on their website :http://gerardgbl.wix.com/strutter

This is a brilliant project and the old guys are wonderful. Any and all help welcome...and come and visit if you're ever in Scotland! Wednesday or Thursday at the Museum of Flight, East Fortune, near Haddington. The airfield is closed for refurbishment, but you can still get in to see the Strutter being built.
Gerard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic