The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2nd Lt LBF Morris, No 11 Squadron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aunt Lil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aunt Lil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Lt LBF Morris, No 11 Squadron
    Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 19:28
Hi, I'm researching the above officer of No.11 Squadron who was piloting the first aircraft to be officially shot down by Manfred von Richtofen in Sept 1916. There's a lot of information about this on the internet as well as two detailed accounts in books by James Miller and Mike O'Connor. My attempts to contact the authors via publishers have been unsuccessful and I'd be keen to hear from any of your members who have any knowledge of Morris. I'm curious as to the source of two photos published in the books, one a portrait of Morris and another purporting to be the taken of the aircraft itself immediately after he had managed to land the aircraft at Flesquieres, despite being mortally wounded. I've already accessed his WO file at Kew but I'm not sure how to find any more detailed info about his activities with the Royal Flying Corps from January to September 1916.

Many thanks, Jill Bush
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 11:15

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to contact Mike O'Connor.

Have you looked at : 

Under The Guns of the Red Baron: The Complete Record of Von Richthofen's Victories and Victims by Norman Franks (Author), Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery (Author), Barry Weekley (Illustrator)

which will have a biography of Morris and images.
The Royal Aero Club may have a portrait of Morris, taken for his flying certificate. Those images are available online via Ancestry at your local library.
Aunt Lil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aunt Lil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 18:47
Hi Nick, thanks for your quick reply - I have indeed got a copy of the book and I've also got the flying certificate details and photo. I think squadron records might be my next search or maybe a visit to Hendon. Cheers for helping! Jill
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:16
You should find a copy of his Casualty Record Card on the RAF Museum website
Aunt Lil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aunt Lil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 17:41
Good tip, thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic