The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of No.14 Balloon Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of No.14 Balloon Section
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 23:25
Originally posted by KK KK wrote:

Originally posted by Ian Burns Ian Burns wrote:

(BP) has me foxed at the moment. B probably refers to Balloon, but what the P stands for...

Balloon Patcher?

Kevin,

Already answered - see my post of 25 July.

Errol
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 16:37
Originally posted by Ian Burns Ian Burns wrote:

(BP) has me foxed at the moment. B probably refers to Balloon, but what the P stands for...

Balloon Patcher?
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 18:12
17 KBS member found today :

Arthur Leslie Kent-Lemon
30.11.1889 Born
1913 Lieutenant Arthur Leslie Kent-Lemon, from 3rd Battalion, The Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) to The York and Lancaster Regiment. Gained commission in Special Reserve and transferred to a Regular Army commission without attending Sandhurst (London Gazette, 23.5.1913).
6.3.1914 Promoted Lieutenant, 1st Battalion, York & Lancaster Regiment
15.1.1915 Joined BEF in France
24.2.1916 Graduated as Kite Balloon Officer, Lieutenant, York & Lancaster Regiment, to be seconded to the Royal Flying Corps (London Gazette 7.3.1916)
1.4.1916 Captain/ Flight Commander, while seconded to Royal Flying Corps (London Gazette 10.5.1916)
6.9.1916 Left Balloon Training Depot, Roehampton, for embarkation to join 17 Kite Balloon Section, Salonika
24.11.1916 Posted from 17 KBS to Balloon Training Wing
21.12.1916 Joined Egyptian Army
24.11.1916 Promoted Captain, York & Lancaster Regiment (London Gazette 24.11.1916)
12.1.1917 Captain. Remains seconded for service with Egyptian Army (London Gazette 8.3.1917)
11.1919=5.1920 Involved in fighting the Aliab Dinka in Southern Sudan.
Awarded Sultan’s Sudan Medal.
To be Nominated Official in place of Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Stewart Davies CMG, DSO, Officer commanding troops, resigned (Kenya Gazette 19.7.1927)
13.7.1927 Provisional Appointment of Major AL Kent-Lemon as temporary Nominated official Member of the Legislative Council revoked (Kenya Gazette 31.1.1928)
13.7.1927 Major AL Kent-Lemon to be Acting Officer Commanding Troops, and Acting Officer Commanding 3rd Battalion, King’s African Rifles, with effect from 13 July 1927. (Kenya Gazette 26.1.1927)
25.4.19140 Appointed acting Commanding Officer of 15th Infantry Brigade, in Norway (1st Battalion, Green Howards, 1st Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, 1st Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment)
25.5.1940 Ceased to be acting Commanding Officer of 15th Infantry Brigade, in Norway.
8.6.1940 “This officer commanded the centre brigade when the Div was attacked by greatly superior enemy forces on June 9th. He showed the greatest courage and determination in dealing with the situation and directed a counter attack which recaptured a village captured by the enemy. Later when the brigade position became untenable he personally supervised the arrangements for withdrawal and showed great courage, resource and energy in extricating the remnants of the brigade from a most difficult position. His determination, energy and personal example throughout the operations 8/9 June were beyond all praise.” Recommended for a DSO by Major-General A.B. Beauman, Commander, Beauman Division, 10.6.1940. CBE awarded instead 20.8.1940.
1.7.1940 Appointed Commanding Officer, 36th Independent Brigade (6th Battalion, Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment, 7th Battalion, Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment (until 20 August 1942),36th Infantry Brigade Anti-Tank Company (formed 18 August 1940, disbanded 20 June 1941),8th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (from 21 August 1942), 181st Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (from 10 December 1941 until 22 June 1942)
22.6.1940 Ceased to be Commanding Officer, 36th Independent Brigade
20.12.1940 Mentioned in Despatches, for service with 15th Infantry Brigade Headquarters, in Norway
22.6.1942 Appointed Commanding Officer, 36th Brigade, North Africa
17.12.1942 Ceased to be Commanding Officer, 36th Brigade, North Africa
1952 The 'KING has been graciously pleased to sanction the following Promotions in, and Appointments to, the Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem: — Serving Brothers:- Brigadier Arthur Leslie Kent-Lemon, CBE

13.7.1970 Died
brackles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brackles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 07:46
Many thanks, the best I could do was Silver Plate which seemed highly unlikely!

Brackles
Errol Martyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Errol Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 23:40
From a list of abbreviations file in AIR1 819/204/4/1316:

K.B.S. (Balloon Party) - K.B.S. (B.P.)
K.B.S. (Balloon Rigger) - K.B.S. Rigger
K.B.S. Fitter - K.B.S. (Ftr.)
K.B.S. Telephonist Learner - K.B.S. Tele. Lr.
K.B.S. (Winchdriver) - K.B.S. (WhD.)
K.B.S. (Winchdriver & Fitter) - K.B.S. (WnchD.F.)
Kite Balloon Section - K.B.S.
Kite Balloon Section - (Telephonist) - K.B.S. (Tele.)
Silicol Plant - (Sil.Plt.)

Errol

PS: I'm sure I've seen somewhere a list of KBSs and their locations. Can anyone remind me as to where it might be found?
Ian Burns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 17:40
(SilPlt) is a reference to the Silicol hydrogen generating plant. A highly technical position.

brackles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brackles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 14:02
This is a bit of a diversion I'm afraid but I'm baffled by an abbreviation in the Muster Roll. 13604 Sawyer D. J.  has a Trade Classification K.B.S.(SilPlt). Assuming that K.B.S is Kite Balloon Section (or similar) what does the SilPlt mean? 
There is also a similar Trade Classification, K.B.S.(B.P.), applied to several airman that appear on the same page - I haven't figured that out either!
Many thanks
Brackles

Gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 03:33
Hello,
I have recently joined this forum as my wife has asked me to do some research into her great-uncle. So I was very pleased when I cam across this forum and found him in your thread. He is Lt Col Hugh M Meyler, DSO, MC. 

My knowledge of what he did and where he did his service in France in the Balloon Corps is very limited. I know he was an artillery observer whilst in the army. He fought in South Africa, then the 4th Middx and then the 2nd Borders, before transferring to the the Balloon Corps:

Wing-Adjutant- 06.04 1916 Capt HM Meyler, MC from Border Regiment

In October 1915 he transferred to the 2nd Bn Border Regiment (20th Brigade in 7th Division) as a Captain but in March 1916 he joined the Royal Flying Corps. Appointed to the command of No. 5 Kite Balloon Company (Sections  2, 25 & 34), 2nd Kite Balloon Wing.

He also appears on the orbat in the 3rd Battle of Ypres – 31.07.1917 (Passchendaele).

Balloon Officer – Capt HM Meyler, MC from Adjutant. 26.06.1916

Flight Commander – 08.08, 1916 Capt HM Meyler, MC Border Regt, from Balloon Officer.

Balloon Wing Commander.—Capt. (Temp. Major) H. M. Meyler, M.C., Bord.R., from a Coy Comdr. (graded as a Sqdn. Comdr.), and to be Temp. Lieut.-Col. while so employed ; Nov. 22nd.1917.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to the movements of the units he served with in France. Particularly where the balloons were raised behind the lines, as I know it was quite a dangerous role.

Many thanks

Gordon

Family-Researcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Family-Researcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 12:32
Albert Dodd was my Great Uncle. I came across this forum whilst researching the men who wrote to my Great Great Grandparents and were included in this biography of Albert from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. It was a surprise to find Albert mentioned here. I have now joined the forum and hope to learn more about 11 Kite Balloon Section, which I believe from my research was part of 19 Company. Thank you for including my Great Uncle here and ensuring he is remembered not only by his family. 
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 14:43
mea culpa,l once read some correspondance where Faithful mentioned a DSO , but he was congratulating a friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic