The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BE.2 RFC/RAF serial number's ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alex Smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BE.2 RFC/RAF serial number's ?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 06:50
Hello,
Please excuse if this has been dealt with on this forum before, But am a new member and could not find anything.
My questions:
1/.
The RFC, BE.2's serial numbers, were these numbers the aircraft construction numbers or numbers that were allocated to an aircraft by the RFC ?
2/.
I have a list of RAF BE2 serial numbers, a total of 1953 numbers. Was this the total production or just those used by the RAF. Was production of any of these aircraft cancelled ?
3/.
Is there any list available that links RFC BE.2 serial numbers to their later RAF BE.2 serial numbers ?
Thank you,
Alex
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 09:14
Hi Alex,
welcome to the forum.
some brief answaers to your queries;-
1] - Blocks of  Serial numbers were allocated, by the War Office were contracts ewere palced with manufacturers
2]- A total of around 3500 B.E.2s ( all variants) were built.
3]- RFc and RAF serials were the same.
Hope this helps
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 12:15

Any of the Bruce Roberston serial books, e.g.

"British Military Aircraft Serials 1878-1987", will give you serials blocks for BE2s, manufacturers and notes for cancelled aircraft orders 

Alex Smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 17:33
Hello Paul & Nick,
Thank you both for the replies.
Did not think that there were so many built.
You have both cleared up my questions and gave me the title of yet another book that I do not have, hope the local library can get me a copy.
Thank you
Alex

Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 18:24
if you are looking for anything specific send me an e-mail or private message and I will do what I can to help
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 19:48
I'd look on the usual internet book sites for copies of Bruce Robertson's book(s), there are several editions, and the earlier ones (of which the WW1 section is essentially the same) can be picked up quite cheaply
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic