The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 15:22
I brought this off Ebay the other day, I don't know why, just curiosity. I have had a look through Putnams German WW1 book and cannot see this machine or is it French?

Cheers

John-G

WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 16:22
John, Looks like a Henry Farman F.27, poss a later model?

Peter Wright.
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 16:24
John, Looks like a later model of an Henry Farman F.27.

Peter Wright.
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 20:28
Hi Peter,

Thanks I will try and see if I can find another source to confirm it.

John-G
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 21:09
Hi John

The Farman F.27 had no wing stagger, which this chap clearly has.

I think what you have here is a Voisin 4 (or LB), which was a Voisin 3 modified to take a 37mm canon and powered by a 120hp Salmson M.9. The French used a few escadrilles of these for various duties during 1915 & into 1916; initially as fighters, but later, more successfully, as night fighters and ground attack.

Cheers,

AndyK
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 22:50
Thanks Andy, I'll have to try and find some reference source.

john-g
albatros1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 04:40
i do believe andy is correct in saying this is a voisin although i think it may be a 5 with salmson engine. all of the voisins look similar with the 4 wheel undercarrige but the shape of the nacelle leads me to say it is a later version, but definately voisin.

Edited by albatros1234 - 05 Feb 2014 at 04:44
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 08:28
Thanks albatros1234, do you have a drawing of photograph that might clarify the identity?

John-G
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 09:20
I would say that is it a Voisin VII. I think that this website has a similar picture of the same aircraft (marked 5) -
http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=17605

The Voisin VIII night bomber has fuel tanks mounted between the wings, viz 
http://www.aviafrance.com/voisin-viii-aviation-france-958.htm

AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 12:37
The photo you've located there is almost certainly the same aircraft as John's. Probably a different shot in the same photo session - good find!

However, it's not a Voisin 7 - check out Davilla's French Aircraft of WW1. Assuming you trust him as a source, it's definitely a Voisin 4. The 7 had the wing tanks, like the 8. The forward fuselage shape we see in John's pic is specific to the 4, designed to allow full movement of the 37mm gun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic