The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First RFC Loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First RFC Loss
    Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 14:04
I've been contacted by people organising a memorial to commemorate the first British aircraft to be lost in action in 1914. This was Avro 504A serial number 390, lost 22-Aug-1914 with 2Lt VE Waterfall and Lt CGG Bayly being KIA at a place in Belgium called Enghien.

The memorial is to be erected on land at Marcq/Labliau. The land owners have agreed and the local council have allocated a budget! The journalist who contacted me is called Christian Deglas, and is asking for any information on this incident, and is really hoping to locate photographs. He has portrait shots of Bayly and Waterfall.

Can anyone help with information and images?

Edited by AndyK - 23 Jan 2014 at 19:56
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 16:31
Hi Andy
Isn't there a C&CI Journal article on this ? Certainly, Nigel Wood (Nottingham Branch) was working on one many years ago.

It is claimed that the uniforms worn by Bayly and Waterfall were the first proof the Germans had that the BEF had landed.

I'm in the middle of research on Avros in 1914-15, so please feel free to push the journalist my way. 

In the meantime, I'll see if I can track down Nigel's article...
Nick
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 18:12
Hi Nick

There's an article by Jeff Taylor in Volume 23, which I've sent on to Christian - but nothing else is showing in the index.

There must be a photo of 390 somewhere ...

Andy
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 19:22
Hi Andy
I've had a look also, and all I have found is the 23/4 article by Jeff; so presumably Nigel never got around to submitting anything ?
390 isn't in the JMB/GSL/FAAM collection, and Avro Heritage haven't got anything.
I haven't seen one in the Roe family archive.
Jack couldn't find a print for 'Britain's First Warplanes'.
The April 1914 5 Squadron mobilization photos are too early for Avros. 390 was delivered to Farnborough 15.6.1914, and went to 5 Squadron at Gosport on 28.7.1914. It was at Mauberge & Amiens with 5 Sqn, until its loss on 22 Augus - 25 days with 5 Sqn, 44 days at Farnborough.
I wouldn't have thought there was anything in the Strange archive at Hendon, but it would be worth checking.
The other possibility is 5 Squadron, currently at Waddington, though I have yet to find contact details for the Squadron Association. There was a time that the local recruiting office would give you that sort of information of the 'phone, but we now live in different times, unfortunately.
Nick

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic