The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airfield at Macclesfield?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
drailton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drailton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airfield at Macclesfield?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 12:18
Not sure if this is relevant to Cross & Cockade as not sure of dates!

Can anyone tell me anything about a pre WWII airfield that used to be located at Danes Moss south of Macclesfield, Cheshire between the A536 and the A523? Also interested in sources of information on same and photos.

I have been told 2 things about this location for which I do not have verifiable sources:

1. Before it was decided to use Ringway it was considered as a possible location for a major airport to service the north west of England.

2. The US army were based there before D day and they used Piper Cub aircraft.

The only 'evidence' I have is that new housing at the supposed location includes a Flying Fields Drive.
R.A.Scholefield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.A.Scholefield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 11:11
I have not come across a reference to a pre-WW II airfield at Dane Moss to the SW of Macclesfield during my lengthy researches into Aviation in the 'SELNEC' area.  Have today searched the Barton Airport movements log for 1930 and there are no references to movements from Macclesfield or near.

During the 'Barnstorming Era', many large grassed areas were used by the 'Air Circuses' of the period for a 'one-day stand'  and it is quite possible that the 'airfield' at Dane Moss was thus used.  An exhaustive search would be needed of the local newspapers archives to prove whether this was so.

A 1923 Ordnance Survey map in my collection shows an 'aerodrome' 1 mile SW of Alderley Edge to the east of the A535 to Chelford.  Again, the 1930 Barton Log shows no movements from Alderley Edge and it may well be that the opening of Woodford in late 1924 rendered airfields in the Alderley Edge/Macclesfield area redundant.

During the latter part of WW II, the US Army had  a headquarters in the Macclesfield area. I'm not sure of the precise location, but have always assumed (correctly?) that this was at one of the stately homes in the Alderley/Capesthorne area to the W of Macclesfield. Possibly at Alderley Park, later used by ICI. 

RAF Ringway did not keep a complete log of movements between mid 1940 and January 1946.  However, a 'one-off' survey of movements during six weeks in April/May 1944, still retained in the Airport Archive, shows two return trips by USAAF 'Auster' 046 from/to 'Macclesfield' on 20 and 23 April.  We may safely presume the a/c to be a Taylorcraft L-2.

Hope that helps.

Would be interested in any other feedback.

R.A.Scholefield    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic