The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L.W.B. Rees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L.W.B. Rees
    Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 09:08
Can anyone point me towards a biography, or article, or anything regarding Lionel Barbazon Rees V.C.?
I am particularly interested in his participation in a promotional mission to the USA in which he took part during May 1917.

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 09:46

'Against the Odds: The Life of Group Captain Lionel Rees V.C., O.B.E., M.C., A.F.C.' W. Alister WilliamsBridge Books; 1st. ed. edition (Oct 1989)

Also, chapter in Chaz Bowyer's 'For Valour : The Air VCs' and, probably, 'The Air VCs' by Peter Cooksley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 16:14
Thanks Nick.
I don't have any of those but I think the Library might have one of the two books on Air VC winners.
meanwhile, with Xmas fast approaching I will include "Against the Odds" in my letter to Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:29
'For Valour' sums up Rees in the USA in a single sentence...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 15:46
Information on the mission seems very scarce, maybe it was meant to be secret?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 16:19
I don't think so, particularly as Northcliffe was involved and wrote 'At the War' about it - great on self-promotion and tractor driving with Henry Ford, not so hot on useful facts.

It is probably more a case of training-related subjects not selling books. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 08:07
There is a three page article in the American Croos & Cockade journal Volume 26, No.2, Summer 1985 ( the last one published) but it mostly about how he won his V.C and obly say that he spent almost a year as Liason officer in Washington.
Alex Revell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Revell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 14:46

Paul,

Why wait for Santa. The book is selling on Amazon from £283.49 - yes, I know it's ridiculous - and from £52.68- £9.00. I have a copy, as new,that you can have for a tenner plus postage.Smile Email me if interested and I'll send it off.
Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic