The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"G" & "B" Prefixed Service Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "G" & "B" Prefixed Service Numbers
    Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 22:23

Have you ever wondered why some R.F.C. Service numbers are prefixed with the letter “G” or “B”?

I have been trying to figure this one out for several years and by chance, whilst looking at the Daily Routine Orders for 7 Wing at the National Archives, found the answer.Big smile

Category “B”

Extract from Administrative Wing Orders dated 2/2/1916.

Part I. Para. 4: -

“A number of men is being transferred from Regular and Re-enlisted from Territorial Units into the Royal Flying Corps, who are (i) ‘Fit for service overseas, but not fit for General Service’. These men will be posted as Batmen, Clerks, and Drivers, M.T. (Learners). They will be identified by the letter “G”, appearing before their Royal Flying Corps number. It is notified for general information that men with such numbers are not to be sent on long route marches.

In the event of such men so recovering from the result of their wounds, or other disability that they become fit for General Service, the letter “G”, will be deleted from their number on sanction of the Medical Officer.”

Extract from Administrative Wing Orders dated 19/2/1916.

Part I. Para. 5: -

“With reference to Administrative Wing order 4, Part I, of 2/2/1916, a number of civilians is being enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps who are fit for service overseas, but not fit for General Service. They will be identified by the letter “B”, appearing before their Royal Flying Corps Regimental number. It is notified for general information that men with such numbers are not to be sent on long route marches.

In the event of such men becoming fit for General Service, the letter “B”, will be deleted from their number on sanction of the Medical Officer.

When either this letter or the letter “G”, is so deleted from a man’s number the Officer i/c Royal Flying Corps Records, is to be notified”.

To be copied in all Squadron Orders.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic