The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Searching for Red Baron fakes ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBC_Prod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBC_Prod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching for Red Baron fakes ...
    Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 18:12
Hi all,

I am a producer working on a BBC 1 show called Fake Britain. The programme examines the stories behind fakes and forgeries. For the new series we will be taking a look at WW1 in general and the Red Baron in particular.

At present I am trying to source a recognised forgery so we can have an expert explain to us how the fake was made. The fake could be plane fabric, hair or even a portrait - we'd be interested in any Red Baron related item. If anyone on this knowledgeable forum can advise me on how I might be able to make contact with someone who owns a fake piece of Red Baron related memorabilia I would be immensely grateful.

Many thanks.

James
Producer Director
Fake Britain
research@screenchanneltv.co.uk
0207 4903474
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:10
Did anything become of this project looking for Red Baron fakes?
lts just that l have here part of a plane reportedly shot down by MVR > Well l say "plane", but it looks a bit like a kennel with a bullet hole in it......
Badersbusco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badersbusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 15:38
As many who know that this is quite widespread with any aces memorabilia, signatures, relics etc, tend to multiply since the advent of online auction sites and other sites.

Pre dating these things, you could see parts from the real wreck, confirmed as genuine in the Imperial War Museum as well as in Canada, America, Australia and other Museums in these places. Most items however are in the hands of private collectors.

I remember seeing parts from this, or faked parts including a post card sent home by a WW1 soldier made from plywood taken from the wreck including the ubiquitous red paint, quite dark in colour when I saw it, not the favoured scarlet beloved of model makers or artists. This was in the Torbay Aircraft Museum in Devon, long since closed, I dont know what happened to its collection of aircraft, Battle of Britain film star replicas or this item. There are reputed to be enough Red Baron relics to build over 10 complete Triplanes, so I have heard, because of the problem with Fakes. This programme will have long been aired by now but does anyone have any news of other fakes or dubious sightings of Red Baron, Richthofen memorabilia? Badersbusco
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic