The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14 Wing RFC/RAF location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14 Wing RFC/RAF location
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 14:52
Hi

I am interested to find out where 14 Wings exact location was when in Italy 1917/18.
I know they were at Villalta, but where in Villalta? Was it a local hotel, Villa or farmhouse?

If anyone knows and can substantiate it then that would be excellent.

John-g
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 11:40
Hi John
According to the map in Norman Macmillan's 'Offensive Patrol', Villalta is east of VICENZA north of the main railway from VICENZA to PADUA.  Grossa Aerodrome is north east of Villalta.
I hope that helps.

Mike
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:23
Hi John
I have noticed I did not answer your question on the actual building.  However, Macmillan mentions that the Wing HQ moved from Villalta to SARCEDO on 26 March 1918 (note on page124).  Then on page 212 states that the Wing HQ moved from DOSSON to VILLAVERLA at the end of the war (18 November).  So I wonder how long it spent at VILLALTA?

Mike
MikeMeech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:45

In answer to my own question I realized I had the info on 14 Wing movements in an Air Britain publication; 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units'.  So - arrived Italy 5.1.18, estabished at VILLALTA by Feb. 18.  to SARCEDO 26.3.18.  So only at VILLALTA  a month or so.  Then October 18 to TREVISO and later the same month to DOSSON, then to VILLAVERLA 18.11.18.  So its main operational base was SARCEDO.  This may or may not help, but it appears, except for SARCEDO, the other bases would be quite 'temporary'.

Mike
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 13:50
Hi Mike

I have already checked out the above publications as well as Vol VI The War in The Air by Jones. I would like to be more precise than Villalta. There are at least three Villalta's in that part of Italy. One in Padova, Undine and Pordenone regions. I think that it must be the one in Padova. The village which is north east of Vicenza and not far away from Gazzo and San Pietro in Gu, geographically this would seem to make sense?
All I want to do is find out where they were holed up? Possibly in a farmhouse or Villa?

Cheers

John-g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic