The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 N (RNAS)/ 204 RAF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Coxyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coxyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 N (RNAS)/ 204 RAF
    Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 08:28
I live at Coxyde, at the Belgian coast, and I am interested in the Canadian ace Charles Hickey, who obtained 21 victories before he died accidentally. He flew for the 4th RNAS Squadron and the 204th RAF Squadron. I wonder whether there are records left of this squadron's achievements?
WrightBrother View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrightBrother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 17:21
'Canadian Airmen of the First World War' book, pages 209-211, give a fair amount of info on Hickey and 204 Sqdn.

Peter Wright.
Coxyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coxyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 22:14
Thank you Peter,
I am intrigued by his fifth victory, 21st of April 1918, at Wulpen, near where I live. He and Ronald Keirston had forced a German Rumpler to land near an artillery battery of the Belgian army. Quite a number of soldiers came running to the plane, Hickey, who had landed meanwhile shouted at them to run away, but it was already too late. A bomb went off and killed eight Belgian soldiers. I asked a few collegues and none of them had ever heard of such a "Flugzeugzerstörer". Was this a unique incident?
The fact that Hickey tried to warn the Belgians indicates that they were not familiar with it, but he was?
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 16:38
Someone wrote a sqadron history on 4 Naval but it was never published. Who wrote it and where is it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic