The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edward Busk RAeC Cert no.?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adrian Roberts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edward Busk RAeC Cert no.?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 01:14
Could one of you look up Edward Busk's RAeC Certificate number and the date, please?

This is the one piece of information that I would still like to have for my talk on Busk at the London Meeting on 14th June (excuse the product placement!).

I have Marvin Skeltons' 1983 CCI article but it's not in there. A few years ago, all the Certificate numbers and dates up to 1918 were published in alphabetical order in the Journal over several months. Unfortunately, I didn't join until we got to "J". I would be grateful if some who has the "Bs" could look up Busk and let me know.

Adrian
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 16:53
he dosen't seem to be listed?
although his brother Hans is (739)
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 17:08
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 19:22
Ted Busk learned at the A.S.L. ( aeronautical syndicate) School in 1912. his lessons being limited to one day a week.
Hans learned at the Ewen school in 1913.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 23:40
Paul, and Nick
Thanks for trying. That is intriguing. As you say, he learned at the ASL school at Hendon and apparently was doing very well in training. No-one seems to have doubted his ability to fly once he joined the RAF. So, I wonder why he didn't bother to get his certificate? Money never seems to have been an issue - he went to Harrow and Cambridge even though his father died when he was eight.

Maybe he just never got round to it, and perhaps the Factory wasn't so interested in having the right paperwork so long as his abilities were beyond doubt.
Adrian
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 17:50
Unlike the RFC Busk would not be able to claim the money back from his employer so why bother?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 02:28
Good point - what is the use of a bit of paper? - in those days before the bureaucrats got their teeth into aviation!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic